On Saturday evening, March 28, a tornado tore through the heart of Jonesboro, Arkansas injuring 22 people. Miraculously, only 2 people were reported to have been hospitalized. Most of the reported injuries were minor. Arkansas Baptist Disaster Relief (ABSC DR) assessors and chaplains were on the grounds Saturday evening following the tornado to assess damages around the city and for ways to support the citizens of Jonesboro.
Many homes and businesses have been destroyed, including parts of Turtle Creek Mall. Crews started with search and rescue but have now switched to recovery and clean-up. Temporary shelters were set-up immediately following the aftermath at local churches and schools. Journey Church was one of the temporary sited serving the community.
The ABSC DR response and incident command center will be located at Nettleton Baptist Church to help direct their efforts to meet needs in the city. The kitchen at Central Baptist Church will be used to help with feeding operations. The additional DR units that are currently activated are:
- Recovery Units: Walnut street, Tri-county, Central Baptist Church – Jonesboro
- Corners Chapel shower unit and first responder feeding unit
- Mount Zion shower unit
- Faulkner and the State box unit.
Several others are on standby. We expect the response to be largely based around chainsaw recovery and feeding.
- Pray for those in Jonesboro who experienced damage and devastation. Many homes and businesses were completely destroyed.
- Pray for local officials who are already overwhelmed with COVID-19 who will have to make key decisions in the recovery efforts
- Pray for healthcare professionals in Jonesboro as they handle this situation in addition the demands of COVID-19.
- Pray for DR leadership as they navigate a relief effort amidst the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Pray for DR volunteers who will be on the front lines serving those in need.
- Pray for ABSC churches as they minister to their own families affected and as they minister to people in their community.
- Daily updates will be posted at ABSCDisasterRelief.org & ArkansasBaptist.org
- New information will be shared on the ABSC & ABN social media accounts